This classic chinese cuisine -- Beef and Tomato Stew is true comfort food. It has a rich and delicous soup, and tastes sweet and sour. This dish can easily be made in your instant pot, pressure cooker, slow cooker, or even right on the stow ! I used the pressure cooker becuase it easily cooks beef softer.
The below video has a different way to cook beef and tomato stew. It is your choice to follow the either way you feel easy to cook.
- 1 Tbsp Vegetable oil or Olive oil
- 2 Ib. stew beef, chop into cubs ( I choose sirlion)
- 1 tomato, chop into bite size
- 1 can diced tomato
- 3 potatoes, chop into bite size
- 2 carrrots, chop into bite size
- 2 clove of garlic, sliced
- 6 slices of ginger
- 2 star anise
- 2 piece of bay leaves
- a few of Sichuan peper corns
- 1 table spoon of cooking wine
- 2 table spoon superior soy sauce
- 2 table spoon mushroom soy sauce
- 1 tsp salt
1. Put cold water in the pot, then put the sirloin cubs, 3 ginger slices, and cooking wine. Cook them until boling. Remove the sirloin cubs from the pot, rine off the scum, and put into a big bowl for later use.
2. Dump the beef cubs into the fry pan, then add a little sugar and an approriate amount of salt. Then stir them in 3 mins. Remove them into the bowl for later use.
3. Put the deep fry pan on the stove with midum heat. Until the pan is getting hot, pour 1 Tsbp oil in with ginger slices, galic slices, star anise, sichuan peppercorns, and bay leaves. Stire them until fragrant, then add the diced tomatoes and continue to stir.
3. Dump the beef cubs into the tomato, then stir them for 3 mins.
4. Pour 1 can of water into the deep fry pan. Turn to high hear to boil the beef and tomato soup. After boiling, pour the beef and tomato soup into the slow cooker or pressure cooker for one hour.
5. After one hour stew, add carrots and potatoes in for another half hours until the beef and vegetables turn to soft.